The Fox and Hounds has been so-named since towards the end of the 18th century. Previously though it may have been called Good Rooms, or Capp's, after the governor at the time.
Over the years the pub has seen it's fair share of drama, notably it was the venue for the inquest into the the Sally Arsenic murders, as documented recently in a BBC documentary.
In the past the pub had an outside serving hatch, and stables for horses. Horses can be seen still frequenting the Fox in this photograph from 1914.
A short walk from the pub are the earthwork remains of Clavering Castle. This particular castle is a rare example. The Normans used the existing Anglo-Saxon structure and fortified it with now robbed-out masonry. But this ancient enclosure goes back even further, to celtic-britonnic times. While on private land today, public footpaths provide ample passage. Surrounded partly by the River Stort, and today with horses feeding freely upon it, this is truly a special place.
Clavering also has a beautiful Church and church yard, and a high proportion of grade 2 listed buildings.